Model aviation is more than just a hobby
It’s a passion; it’s a sport; it’s a unique view of the world. And it’s never been a more exciting time to fly. Take an inside look into the world’s largest model aviation association and learn more about how you can start flying today.
Scroll down to learn more!
Academy of Model Aeronautics By the Numbers
Keep scrolling down to learn more!
80 Years Old
2,400 AMA Clubs
3,000 AMA Flying Fields
More than $1 Million in Scholarships Awarded Since 1970
Sign up today and receive a free welcome package from the AMA team!
The Academy of Model Aeronautics also operates the largest model aviation museum in the world.
1978 museum was founded
11,000+ unique artifacts
1,200+ artifacts on display
22,000+ model aircraft building plans
Curious? Explore the National Model Aviation Museum website.
What does an AMA membership offer?
- Liability coverage for operation of remote-controlled model aircraft, boats, cars and rockets
- $2,500,00 comprehensive general liability
- $25,000 accident/medical coverage for members
- $10,000 maximum accidental death coverage for members
- $1,000 fire, theft and vandalism coverage for members
Educational Programs & Scholarships
- Access to AMA Flight School
- Online learning opportunities for all ages
- Youth and student mentorship and education opportunities
- Scholarship programs
Mentorship & Advocacy
- Access to a community of more than 187,000 members internationally
- Security of having AMA as a liaison with several local, state and federal government entities
- Access to AMA-recognized Special Interest Groups
- Support of more than 50 full-time staff members and hundreds of volunteers dedicated to serving all modelers
- General club and member support and sponsorship
Flying Clubs & Fields
- Access to 2,400 AMA clubs
- Access to more than 3,000 AMA flying fields
- Hands-on flying site assistance and grant programs
Safe & Responsible Flying
- Promoting safe and responsible flying under the direction of the AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code
- Recognition as a community-based organization
- Education and guidance on federal, state and local flying regulations
Print & Online Resources
- Access to a broad range of model aviation news and publications, including quarterly and monthly magazines, email newsletters, webinars and more
- Access to online resources and members-only content
- What is the cost of becoming an Academy of Model Aeronautics member?
The cost of becoming an Adult member is $75, Seniors $65, Youth ages 19 and below are $15.
- What does it typically cost to purchase a remote-controlled model aircraft?
Remote-controlled model aircraft can be purchased for as low as $100.
- As a member, what kind of model aircraft can I fly and where can I fly?
An Academy of Model Aeronautics membership provides coverage for whatever you fly, wherever you fly.
- Should I join a flying club?
There are many benefits to joining a club, including hands-on instruction, exposure to other facets of the hobby, and camaraderie with and mentorship from other members.
- As an AMA member, do I need to provide my own equipment?
Yes. Before choosing a model aircraft, we recommend talking to other remote-controlled model aircraft enthusiasts at a club or hobby shop to select an aircraft that best suits your interest, experience level and anticipated flying location(s). You may also want to consider purchasing an RC flight simulator, as well. This will help you learn to operate a model aircraft before you take to the skies.
- How can I become an AMA member?
Signing up is easy. Simply visit our membership page, and follow the instructions to begin your journey with the Academy of Model Aeronautics today!
Interested in joining the AMA or learning more about the hobby?
Sign up to receive a Discover Flight information packet from the AMA team!
Ready to join? Join or renew your membership now.